470 Castro St
San Francisco, CA 94114
On Thursday, May 25, from 5:30 – 7:30 pm at Strut, the Elizabeth Taylor 50-Plus Network, in collaboration with AIDS Legal Referral Panel (ALRP), will host a Tenant Rights Bootcamp for people living with HIV. This event is free and all are welcome.
This workshop, presented by experienced ALRP housing attorneys, will cover tenants’ rights with a focus on the rights of tenants living with HIV and AIDS. Topics will include:
- Rent control basics: Is your tenancy covered by the SF Rent Ordinance? What rights do you have if you are covered?
- Just cause requirements for evictions, including fault-based causes, low-fault causes and no-fault causes; How to protect yourself against “gotcha” evictions
- The eviction process from notice to judgment
- Requesting reasonable accommodations, including service animals and live-in caregivers
- What are your rights if your building is sold?
- How do you get your security deposit back?
- What should you do if your apartment needs repairs?
- What organizations can you turn to if you need assistance with your rent?
- What do you do if you need an accommodation for a disability?
Attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions in small discussion groups facilitated by the attorneys following the presentation. If needed, an ALRP attorney can also schedule an appointment for a full intake and consultation.